Monday, April 4, 2011

Ready or Not

Preparations are underway to start raising a four year old, even though we have barely learned to nourish the needs of a three year old. I have been a little nostalgic about the ordeal. I mean, a three year old is still practically a baby. But a four year old? They go to school, look like big kids, dress like big kids and talk like grownups. And mine? He cooks his own dinner, and tonight he started potty training his little brother.
Our household has changed every little bit as you would expect. I'd like to share a few of my favorite "duh" moments as a soon-to-be and new mom. Memories that he'll probably make fun of me for someday when he understands.

School Bus. The day before I went into labor, I rode with about 30 of my middle and high school students on a school bus three hours to Sturgis for an FFA contest, stood on my feet all day directing teenagers through a floriculture contest and hopped back on the bus for three more hours. Similar to a trip I took on a bus the previous week and a trip that I planned to take a week later.

All-Nighter. The week before Gage's arrival, the FFA chapter hosted an all night lock-in. I stayed all night, but had to wear slippers because my feet were swollen so bad they wouldn't fit in my shoes. Some fine students wrote instructions on the white board in case I went into labor.
1 - Find Jack
2 - Boil towels
3 - Call ambulance
They even located a bucket and mop in case my water broke. So thoughtful.

Nesting. I had heard of these crazy cleaning binges, sometimes lasting days or weeks prior to the arrival of the baby to prepare of their arrival. Mine lasted 90 minutes. Here's a bit of a timeline to assist:
April 5th - Full day teaching at school. Doctor's appointment where I hear the following: [Baby hasn't dropped and you really haven't made much progress. I wouldn't hold your breath for an early delivery and if you do go into labor, it will be a long affair.] Then we went to Maunday Thursday church service. My back hurt because I had "ridden a bus the day before" and I waddled like an emperor penguin. Home to (little did I know) nest for 90 minutes. Just enough time to clear out the nursery and vacuum. So tired I went to bed. 45 minutes later, water breaks. 6 hours (and now April 6th) later, Baby A is here!

Hospital  Bag. It turns out you can pack those ahead of time. I didn't. So while Jack's on the phone with the hospital and I'm trying to convince him to go back to bed, ("Its nothing. I just want to sleep") he's also throwing things in a bag. We had some useful items. Also, some terribly interesting choices.

Substitute Teacher. Gage was born on Good Friday, or what was to be day one of a very important four day weekend in which I prepared my classroom and home for maternity leave. Suffice it to say that I hadn't written a single substitute lesson plan. Meaning...I spent all weekend in the hospital throwing things together. We went home on Sunday afternoon (Easter Sunday) and Monday evening I went into the school to work. Nice planning. I worked closely with the substitute, as well as chaperones and students to plan a trip to State FFA Convention and our chapter banquet in the first few weeks of his life.
The Name Game. We hadn't selected a name for the baby and had convinced ourselves our firstborn would be of the female variety. He would have been Delaney. Instead we looked at the list and decided we needed to spend time with him before we could make the call. After three days we selected Gage McCoy and it fits perfectly, even though he sometimes wants to be called Lester.

Basically, I'm telling you that while we are 'fly by the seat of our pants' people, in the great wide world of parenting, it is important to think ahead a little bit. Gage is exactly what we needed at exactly the right time. Its not what we planned or ever dreamed would come our way, but we wouldn't change it for the world. In my opinion, everyone needs a kid like Gage. Head-strong and in charge from the very beginning. There's no sluffing off, no forgetting he's there, no personal agendas. Also, he requires very little sleep and recently learned what "balls" are, and that they are not to be kicked.

When Wednesday rolls around, I will pull this little man out of bed, kiss his beautiful four year old face, send him to daycare with treats, and later that afternoon, celebrate with a "hot dog and apple pie" birthday party at his request. He is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment