Monday, April 11, 2011

She Was Right

Dana and I don't get to see each other in person real often. A few times a year at best, and usually an hour tops. Two or three if we're lucky. However, we correspond nearly every day through modern technology but she is in my head 24/7.

Example.

Tonight making supper, I grabbed a handful of potatoes and my mandoline/slicer tool from Pampered Chef. It was a wedding shower gift and at 8 years old, is still as sharp as the day I pulled it out of the box. In trying to rush through preparations, I failed to pay close enough attention, swiped a little fast and nearly took off the tip of my finger. It actually got some skin on the tip of my thumb and a big chunk of thumb nail. I immediately squeezed my thumb and was surprised when no blood drew. Missed it by a hair.

My immediate thoughts could have been to throw the gondola away, or that I really should finish slicing potatoes. Some may have summoned thoughts of previous close calls or trips to the ER on a Monday night with a bleeding hand. But me? When I realized I wasn't bleeding, the first thing that popped into my head was Dana's voice, from the shower when I picked out and ordered the madoline. I distinctly remember her saying, "Kim, you will cut your hand off with that thing."

Thanks friend. You were (almost) right.

And since pictures have been scarce around here, I'll throw up a random shot from prom when we were sophomores. Sixteen years old. In our school's lunchroom. Enjoy.


Ten on Tuesday tomorrow - you'll want to come back, it's a great one!

1 comment: