Friday, April 8, 2011

Parenting: Disheveled Decisions

I've been a little busy lately. In the last two weeks, I have cooked three meals and I haven't run the dishwasher since Monday. There are building block scattered throughout the house, and I have no doubt that they'll be there in the morning. The level of my organized insanity escalated to a new level this week and tonight resulted in a spontaneous effort to grow up the baby.

Let me side trip for a moment and share that while Max will likely end up being our youngest child forevermore, we're trying our hardest not to let him be "the baby". Mentally, I tell myself that maybe someday, there will be another kid or at the very least a dog younger than him. He has not taken a bottle for six months, we force him to use words, say please and thank you, eat food sitting at the table like Gage and suffer the consequences of poor choices. (He is the cutest in time-out. He pouts his sweet bottom lip out and sits where you put him until you welcome him out with hugs.)

Tonight we marched a little further from baby and a little closer to big boy.

Because of my preoccupation with 1000 items on my to-do list:

1: We ran out of diapers. My only option is training pants. Potty training full speed ahead. It really is for the best. The poor boy has terribly sensitive skin so he wears unbleached (read: expensive) diapers. A while back I had grabbed some of the training pants from the brand that works for us (Seventh Generation) and that is what he's wearing at the moment.

2: I can't find any binkies. The binkie gnomes have acquired no fewer than six of them from my house in the last 7-10 days. We are binkie free as of today. I put him to bed tonight and he didn't even cry. That's normal as Max is a rockstar sleeper (and I totally deserve it), but he does have an opinion so it did surprise me. Here's hoping the night proceeds without a hitch. He has not been using a binkie at daycare for quite a while, but he likes to have it in when one is accessible. Its super annoying to have to yank it out of his mouth to understand what he's saying.

3: Also, we went out for pizza tonight. I let my "baby" take a hit out of my Strawberry Dew and we started feeding him fruit snacks before he finished his pizza. But its Friday night. We're tired and the last thing we want to hear is some kid screeching for a "nack! nack!"

Awesome are we.

No comments:

Post a Comment