Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ten on Tuesday. Dana vs Kim. Take 2.

Questions for Tuesday, March 29, 2011!

1. What is a food that you never thought you would try, but then tried and liked?
D: The first time I tried blue cheese dressing I hated it. Now I LOVE it. Especially when I'm pregnant and I'm not really supposed to eat it. Figures.
K: Red peppers. Sometime after Gage started eating solids I figured it was time to be an adult about our cuisine and cooked with them a few times. Turns out they aren't so bad - in fact, they're pretty good. Delicious in pasta sauce, fajitas, and homemade pizza especially!


2. Do you subscribe to any foodie publications? If so, which ones?
D:I used to get the Food & Family magazine, but then they started charging for it and I never subscribed. I should though, it was good. It had easy, normal recipes with normal ingredients that anybody can make.
K: Can I count the kiddie recipes in Parenting Magazine or picking up the Pillsbury/Taste of Home magazines in the checkout lane. I also have all but two Taste of Home Annuals since 1995 (missing 1996 and 1997).


3. What ingredient do you find yourself reaching for the most when you cook?
D: Cream cheese, cream soups, minced onion (or the real thing), and minced garlic. Wow, don't come to my house if you're dieting.
K: Probably cheese, or something with tomato in it.


4. Are there any foods that you hated as a child, but then learned to like as an adult?
D: Tomatoes. I'm fairly certain I didn't like them because my mom didn't like them, therefore, we never had them. I don't like to eat them for a snack (like my husband, who will eat cherry tomatoes by the handful), but I like them on salads, burgers, tacos, and of course BLTs.
K: I sort of already answered this. But what food did I hate as a child and still don't care for? Mushrooms. I probably haven't tried them enough different ways, but even the thought of cooking with them about turns my stomach.


5. What do you like to eat that others may consider weird?
D: Rice and raisins. I didn't know it was weird until I brought David to the farm for the first time and it's what was on the table. It's basically rice pudding (hot) that we smother with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
K:Canadian bacon and green olive pizza. Is that weird?


6. What is the weirdest ingredient you’ve ever cooked with?
D: I don't use strange stuff. We're pretty much meat and potatoes kind of people.
K: I'm really usually pretty regular in the recipes that I pick and use. I really can't even think of anything right now.


7. Do you have any major food allergies?
D: Nothing, thankfully.
K: Thankfully, no. But I was pretty pukey sick with both pregnancies. The first time, if I smelled, thought about or drove past the pizza joint in town I started gagging. Convenient. The second time around it was raw meat. I had to skip a few meals because I couldn't stand to think about eating meat after I saw it raw. Touching raw meat still bothers me.

8. Is there an ingredient that you would like to cook with, but are intimidated to try?
D: Hmmmm...nothing I can think of. Food does not intimidate me. I intimidate food.
K: I don't get it...I guess I'm not intimated to try anything. I'm not certain it would be safe for me to to use a torch in the kitchen, and I should be intimated by making gravy...I need to take lessons to learn how to prevent lumps.


9. Do you bake?
D: I like to, but don't find a lot of time to do much of it. I'd rather bake than cook. But if somebody will do both for me that's really best.
K: Barely. I really enjoy cooking but could give or take baking most days. I like to take frozen cookie balls out of the freezer and heat them up though. Or eat them raw, also a valid option :)


10. If you could go on any “foodie” show to compete, which one would it be, and why?
D: I don't really watch any "foodie" shows...they make me think I'm a better cook than I am, which just gets me in to trouble.
K: I like watching Rachel Ray cook, and for a while I liked watching Cupcake Wars and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I would fail miserably at Cupcake Wars, but would love to drive around visiting restaurants and burger joints. Just hold the mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment