Sunday, April 10, 2011

Our Life in Songs and Storybooks

Hopefully I'll figure out a cooler way to let you know who's writing what but I have always been more of a talker (some would say) so for now, I'll warn you when it isn't me. This one belongs to Dana. :)

I am a children’s librarian, so it comes as no surprise that my son loves books. What does surprise me is how frequently he communicates using lines directly from a book we’ve recently read. Example 1: We’re reading bedtime books and Easton yawns. He looks at me and says, “That was not a yawn. I was stretching.” (If you’re confused, read Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems.) Example 2: Easton has a semi-large closet. The light is rarely on in his closet, but there are a number of toys in there. He’ll frequently go in there and say, “In the dark. In the dark. Could you, would you, in the dark?” (Please read Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss if you don’t recognize this line.) Example 3: The three of us were lounging in the living room and Easton randomly says, “I love my whole family!” (Thank you, We Love You Little Critter by Mercer Mayer.)

To date, Easton can spell his name, recite his address, and rattle off the seven days of the week…in song. When he’s not reciting lines from storybooks, he’s singing. He busts out in song randomly throughout the day--at the kitchen table, in the car, when he’s playing. Sometimes it’s a made up song, other times it’s one he’s learned at day care of that David or I have taught him. I wonder how far I can get him through his academic career by turning essential (and nonessential) information into a song?

If Glee or High School Musical ever does a casting call for a toddler, we’re there. (I’ve never actually seen either show, but that’s pretty much my life on a daily basis, isn’t it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment