Friday, March 25, 2011

The Rebirth of Cold Meat Sandwiches

Many conversations between Dana and me go something like this:

K: Enchilada and Dr. Pepper for lunch. mmmmm
D: Sounds good. I had a sandwich.
K: I don't do sandwiches. I just can't make myself do it. Jack would eat one everyday. They just don't inspire me.
D: I put bacon in mine and grill it like a panini.
K: That's tempting. What do you eat with it?
D: Chips.
K: Ooh, good idea.

I can't really explain why I don't like cold sandwiches for lunch. There aren't any horror stories about moldy meat, eating them everyday for lunch when I was a kid or soggy bread. I would just rather have a hot meal. It could be all of the years I spent eating hot lunch in the public school system. Whatever the reason, I know it would be cheaper and make more sense to just eat a sandwich, but instead I'll cook a frozen pizza, grab something hot at the deli or order subs (what? that's also a cold sandwich...interesting...).

Today, my world may have changed forever.

Anybody out there ever make your kid a silly face sandwich? We have once or twice for Gage and he gobbles those suckers down like nobody's business. It never occurred to me that maybe I needed to be "inspired" by creativity too. This morning Dana sent me a link to http://www.ziggityzoom.com/ and the first place I visited was the food section. Its almost lunch people, give me a break.

Immediately, I printed off every sandwich faced idea they included. Check out a few of my favorites:

Pinto Pony
Rocket Ship
Pirate
Lion

My boys will go nuts for this stuff. I'm certain Jack dream of soaring into outer space when I serve his cold ham and cheese in rocket ship form today. Let's hear it for cold sandwiches next week! Gotta jet - I'm on my way out the door to stock up on bread and veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment