Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Crockpot Chronicles

A quick chat session today that left both Dana and I feeling much older than we actually are. ;), but more likely as old as we're supposed to be. This really shows the evolution of a friendship. From baby dolls, tight rolled pants and Gershwin show tunes to crock pots and potty training. I wouldn't take back a single day.

Crockpot Chronicles, from two food loving mamas

K: i think we've been better about eating out this year than the end of last year, but oct/nov/dec is really hard for us and that. longer hours at the store. and summer...with its rodeo entries? thank goodness for hot dogs on the grill!
K: after the crockpot/electricity fiasco last week, I'm a little gun shy to use it.
D: ??
K: i think i'll actually buy a 2nd crock pot with a switch to high/low instead of buttons to push.
K: i had a whole crock pot meal...roast, etc and the power went out. when the power came back on, the crock pot didn't.
D: What happened with yours?
K: half cooked meal, cold by the time i got home.
D: Ahhhh, I see.
K: so i had to throw it all out. i just didn't trust eating it. :(
D: Sucky. I don't blame you, I would've been nervous too.
D: You should crock pot at the store.  People would love the smell, and then you could watch it. ;)
D: My chicken wildrice soup is a crock pot recipe.
D: Ready for this?
2 cans cream chicken
2 cans cream celery
2 cans chicken broth
1 box Uncle Ben's rice + seasoning packet
1 large can chicken
2 cans evaporated milk (add 15-30 minutes before eating)
And done.
K: cool! we'll have to try that.
K: how long do you cook it? just all day?
D: My crock pot is way faster than most.  I'd say 4 hours low or 6 hours on high.
D: If you don't want it as thick you can add just half the box of rice, but we like hearty stuff.
D: It makes a BIG crock pot full, so beware.  I've never tried freezing it, but the leftovers are just as yummy as round one.
K: I have a big crockpot.
D: Mine comes with 3 size pots...2, 4, and 6 quart.  The 4 quart one is full nearly to the brim with this recipe.
K: i see. i just have the one crock, but its good sized.
K: with buttons that let me set how long i want it to cook, then after that amount of time it switches to warm until i shut it off. or the power goes out. ;)
D: Mine has high, low, and warm.  I rarely use high.  For most recipes, my low is "high" and my warm is "low."  If I put it on high it gets done really fast, which is sometimes nice if I've procrastintaed.
D: procrastinated
K: :) mine does cook much better on low also - i usually just set it based on how long it needs to cook. 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours
D: We are thrilling people, aren't we?
D: What an in-depth crocky conversation this is. :)
K: I was JUST thinking the same thing. Hahaha. I think I'll blog this.
Total time of conversation: about 5 minutes. Sometimes that's all we need to feel connected.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! A friend of mine texted me the other day "What would be a good appetizer to serve with a shrimp dinner? We're having people over."

    I was like eeeeee. We're all adults and wifey now! Ack! LoL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up really isn't all that bad. :)

    ReplyDelete