Monday, June 13, 2011

Potty Training: Ready...Not

At 20 months old, I thought it might be a swell idea to introduce Max to the potty. At 18 months, Gage pooped in the potty for two straight weeks without doing the deed in a diaper. (Then he got pneumonia and we completely started over.) And since every child should be parented exactly the same way, I figured it was high time for Max to get started as well.

Disclaimer: It took me exactly 7 hours to realize that my children would need different parenting techniques. We've been two track parenting ever since. I'll tell you all about it when you're older.

Anyway, this weekend we spent a fair amount of time at home and I tried to take advantage of the golden opportunity to work with Max. Saturday morning I pulled off his diaper and asked if he'd like to sit on the potty for a while.

"NOOOOO!" was the reply.

"Here, let's put your potty in the living room and you can sit on it while you watch Mickey Mouse."

"NOOOOO!" was the reply.

"Just try."

At this point, my sweet little boy picked up the potty, carried it back to its holding cell near the bathroom, and threw it on the floor.

He walked back into the living room and said, "Diaper!" Then walked into his bedroom and returned to the living room with a diaper. He threw it down on the floor, laid down next to it and assumed the position.

Something tells me he isn't ready.


We've also expanded his vocabulary to include "tato" and "chip".

No comments:

Post a Comment