Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ten on Tuesday. Day Job

We're back with some Ten On Tuesday Action. We answered these questions a long time ago, but I'm just not getting around to posting them. I'm the boss, so we follow my rules. :)

Enjoy!

1. What do you do for a living?
K: My husband and I run The Current Connection, specializing in computer and electronics sales and service. We also offer office supplies, furniture and children’s toys. We operate Midwest Rodeo Entries, contracting with rodeo associations to take and manage an online-based rodeo entry system. I also continue to pursue professional photography. Plenty of reasons to stay busy.

D: I am a children's librarian.  Sounds magical, doesn't it?  It is, actually.  We have a super stellar group of dedicated library moms (that's what I call them anyway) that make my job a lot of fun and really rewarding.

2. What’s your favorite thing about your job?
K: Our job can look however we want it to, and different every day. I like the flexibility it offers our family even though that flexibility might mean leaving the office to help out at preschool and then working after the kids go to bed at night. When my kiddos are sick I know I'll be able to pull them from school or daycare to take care of them though. And that means the world to me.

D: The kids...and once in a while I enjoy their parents too.  But mostly, I enjoy when they come together.  Cool things can happen at the library, you should go there sometime...with your kids. :o)

3. What’s your least favorite thing about your job?
K: Its difficult to leave the office to get away. We don’t get to travel back to see my parents and family as much as I’d like and we do end up working quite a few more hours than a “traditional” job. It isn’t possible to just shut down the store after we’ve put in our 40 hours for the week.

D: That I can't do it from home.  Wait, maybe I can.  I may have just thought of something!  The Neu Club Library (meaning you have to pay fees...I've got to make money somehow!).  But it would be a rockin' awesome place, trust me!

4. If you weren’t a ____________, what would you be?
K: A librarian. I have serious job envy toward Dana. She gets to work with kids AND books. How cool is that? I really do like where I’m at right now though.

D: If I weren't a children's librarian, I would be a stay at home mom.  I imagine myself being this way cool stay at home mom.  In reality, I'd probably drive my kids (and my husband) a little nuts and still not have the laundry done or dinner on the table.  A girl can dream.

5. What is something that you would love to get paid for that you think no one would ever pay you for?
K: Professional volunteer. I love helping people. If I could just randomly choose to spend my day volunteering different places, helping different people it would be divine. Let me know if you’re willing to pay me for something like that.
J

D:
Read books.  All day, 8-5.  Just pleasure reading.  No assignments, no editing, just reading for enjoyment.  Our library is full of great books that I'm certain I'll never get a chance to read.  Breaks my heart.

6. If you could have any job for exactly one day, what would it be?
K: Paramedic – I’m certain I couldn’t handle that for more than one day, but I’ve always been curious.

D: I think everybody should be a kindergarten teacher for one day.  I've worked in a kindergarten classroom before, but should probably do it again.  Everybody needs a wake-up call once in a while. :o)

7. If you had to do manual labor, what would you do?
K:
Farmer/Rancher

D: Groundskeeper.  Give me a mower (ride-on, please) and I'd be pleased as punch.  Wait, the fact that I requested a ride-on mower probably takes the manual labor part away.

8. What is something you were forced to learn in high school that was supposed to be super important, but you never actually use?
K: I really had a love/hate with social studies all four years. The material was interesting to me, but our teacher’s style did nothing for me. As a result I trained myself to zone out when I start hearing historical material. It’s a shame really – there’s so much cool stuff out there.

D: Algebra.  I don't actually use it now, but I guess I did have to use it to graduate from college.

9. Who was your favorite boss? Why?
K: Besides ourselves, I would have to say my college job. The two owners complimented each other well, and let me see what managing several different styles of businesses could look like. And the person who I ran my scheduling through was fantastic – one of the nicest people I know.

D: I've only ever had one boss, really, and she's not bad.  I guess I did work for Dakota Ethanol and a bunch of our dads were our bosses.  That was pretty awesome.

10. Where would you rather work: Dunder Mifflin Paper Company (The Office), Wernham Hogg Paper Company (The Office, UK), or Initech (Office Space)?
K: Hands down Dunder Mifflin. Michael Scott would have been my BFF. My kids even reference Michael Scott in daily conversation. Support the Rabid.

D: Dunder Mifflin Paper Company.  I think Pam and I could be friends--we'd definitely take our break together.

No comments:

Post a Comment